Public Service Representative - Spanish Speaking
Office of the Illinois Secretary of State
Job Title: Public Service Representative - Spanish Speaking
Division: Drivers Services
Location: 712 E South St, Plano, Illinois - Kendall County
Salary: Starting salary for full time is $3,493.00 monthly, plus stipend for Spanish translation and interpretation services.
To be considered for this vacancy you MUST establish eligibility by taking and passing a written, multiple-choice examination administered at an ILSOS Personnel Office in either Springfield or Chicago. Appointments for testing may be made by contacting the Personnel office at which you would like to test, or walk-ins will be accepted at the following testing sessions: 9:00 AM, Monday – Friday or 1:00 PM Mon/Wed/Fri. Any questions regarding these positions or applying and testing for these positions can be answered by contacting the Department of Personnel at these locations - Springfield at 217-782-4783 or Chicago at 312-793-5515 or by e-mail at sosjoblisting.com.
At the time of testing, a completed IL Secretary of State employment application MUST be submitted. Applications are available at either Personnel office, can be mailed upon request or are available online, with additional information regarding the ILSOS hiring and selection process, at https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/personnel/employment.html.
Performs duties which include administering road examinations to all applicants for all classes of drivers licenses, performs clerical functions which include greeting customers and assisting with questions, reviewing applications and documentation for applicants for drivers licenses and vehicle title, registration and licensing transactions, administers various tests including written and vision tests, uses computer system to enter data and record testing results; performs cashiering functions related to the drives license transactions and balances funds to transactions performed on that day. Position requires a valid Illinois Driver’s license.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administers road examinations to applicants for all classes of driver’s licenses; explains improper actions to applicants during the examination; codes applications according to examination results.
- Serves as information clerk directing applicants and public to proper areas of the facility to receive service.
- Reviews and completes driver’s license applications or motor vehicle registration or title applications for processing while gathering all pertinent information to serve the applicant.
- Administers vision tests to driver’s license applicants, codes applications according to results.
- Administers and grades written driver examinations; explains incorrect test responses; codes applications according to results.
- Enters applications or other drivers license or related forms on computer terminal, reviews entry for completeness and accuracy.
- Operates photographic equipment; prepares photo ID/drivers licenses for receipt of applicant.
- Balances cash or checks with validation tape totals to assure that all fees are accurately accounted for; prepares deposit records or other routine financial documents necessary to process collected fees; may prepare reports on applications processed.
- Performs cashiering functions for driver’s license fees.
- In a limited-service facility, reviews, fee checks and checks for necessary attachments on the majority of types of motor vehicle registration or title forms; accepts cash or checks for fees and prepares for final processing; issues temporary registration permits.
- In a full-service motor vehicle facility, reviews, fee checks and checks for necessary attachments, various types of motor vehicle registration or title forms including leased vehicles and dealer and remitter work.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Requires working knowledge of business English, spelling and commercial arithmetic.
- Requires working knowledge of office methods, practices and procedures.
- Requires elementary knowledge of the Illinois Vehicle Code as it applies to office tasks pertaining to obtaining or retaining a valid Illinois driver’s license and the processing of various motor vehicle forms.
- Requires elementary knowledge of basic bookkeeping procedures and techniques.
- Requires ability to maintain records of some complexity.
- Requires ability to deal tactfully with the general public and to maintain satisfactory working relationships with other employees.
- Requires ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Requires ability to translate and interpret for Spanish speaking customers.
- Requires ability to operate in an independent manner within defined procedures.
- Requires possession of a valid Illinois driver’s license.
Education and Work Experience:
- Requires knowledge, skill and mental development equivalent to the completion of elementary school AND two (2) years of general office experience, preferably including one year in a driver or motor vehicle facility and operation of keyboard equipment.
- You may submit an application by completing the questionnaire on the right side of this page.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, or the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or disability.