Chief Technology Officer
Chief Technology Officer/Illinois Secretary of State’s Office
Join us in shaping the technological future of the Illinois Secretary of State's Office (ILSOS). We are seeking a visionary and dynamic Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to lead our efforts in revolutionizing technology services, enhancing public impact, and ensuring the security of our digital infrastructure.
With more than 4,000 employees and 150 offices across the state, the Illinois Secretary of State’s office (ILSOS) serves as the nation’s largest Secretary of State office and interacts with more Illinoisans than any other state agency.
ILSOS delivers more than 100 vital services to residents and businesses, including driver, vehicle and business services and safeguards sensitive personally identifiable Information (PII). The scope of the ILSOS digital transformation includes all 25 departments serving internal and external customers, which results in 30 million annual transactions, more than $3.2 billion generated annually and maintenance of over 2 billion stored records.
In establishing this office, the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will be responsible for leading the office of Illinois Secretary of State’s (ILSOS) digital transformation and modernization effort and managing the agency's technology reorganization and transformation, from strategy to implementation, including redefining, developing and maintaining the new technology platforms in the modern ecosystem.
The new administration’s goal is that the office’s successful transformation will serve as a national model for Secretary of State’s offices and DMVs to replicate and lead the nation in cybersecurity, service delivery and user experience that impact the lives of millions of Illinois residents.
Through overhauling its existing processes (i.e., physical mainframe and COBOL-based legacy technology), the administration’s top priority is to implement a state-of-the-art system aimed at improving the customer and employee experience and reducing the “Time Tax,” or the amount of time people waste standing in line or filling out forms.
The CTO will have a strong commitment to public service as the office establishes this critical role for the agency as it embarks on its transformation journey. The office is seeking a strong leader with extensive private sector and/or government experience and proven success in enterprise architecture, digital transformation and user experience.
As the CTO of ILSOS, you will be at the forefront of driving innovation, leading a team, managing technology operations, and overseeing cybersecurity strategies.
- Craft a forward-thinking, collaborative, and responsive vision for office technology services.
- Develop strategic plans for information systems, aligning to organizational goals.
- Define technology roadmap that positively impacts Illinois residents.
- Foster partnerships with government agencies and external consultants to drive joint technology efforts.
- Determine the platform, infrastructure, and application architecture required to support office initiatives.
- Stay updated on emerging technologies and propose enhancements to our technology stack.
Investments and Technological Governance
- Manage technology budgets to support office functions.
- Oversee technology engagements for platforms and work teams.
- Interpret and ensure compliance with information technology regulations and policies.
Development and Operation
- Innovate and create tech-enabled tools that align with office objectives.
- Prioritize time-to-market and product quality in development processes.
- Collaborate closely with the operations team to optimize service levels for applications and infrastructure.
- Ensure timely and budget conscious implementation of technological projects.
- Partner with the Chief Security Officer to establish sound data management practices.
- Implement strategies to prevent cyberattacks and data breaches.
- Continuously enhance cybersecurity capabilities to combat emerging threats.
You are an executive with a proven track record in leading technology transformation and modernization efforts.
- Extensive experience in designing and operating large technology platforms, ideally in both public and private sectors.
- A demonstrated ability to navigate large, complex organizations.
- Deep knowledge of industry best practices in information systems technology and data management.
- Experience in migrating IT infrastructures to cutting-edge solutions.
- Expertise in managing cloud and hybrid architectures.
- A strong record of implementing personal data protection and security controls.
- A comprehensive understanding of the information technology industry, including budget, procurement and contract management.
- A professional degree in systems engineering, business administration, management information systems, computer science, or a related field.
- 6+ years of experience in corporate and/or public technology space with experience in transforming IT infrastructure and a focus on cybersecurity a plus.
- 3+ years of experience as a high-level or senior executive.
- Drive technology change and modernization efforts with speed and efficiency.
- Generate value through the adoption of advanced technology within the office.
- Ensure the reliability and cost-effectiveness of our technology platform.
- Develop metrics to demonstrate the impact of technological changes.
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.
Join us at ILSOS and lead the charge in shaping the future of technology for Illinois residents. Make your mark in a dynamic, forward-thinking environment where innovation and leadership are celebrated. We invite you to bring your expertise and be part of a transformative journey that impacts millions of lives.